As you continue to explore additional ways to enjoy CBD, you may add more infused foods and beverages to the mix. CBD tea can be purchased in infused blends, or you can add it to your favorite teas. Here’s what you need to know including how many drops of CBD oil are in infused teas.
What Is CBD Tea?
Both industrial hemp (aka. CBD) and marijuana contain cannabidiol (CBD). CBD is the molecular compound responsible for the primary medicinal benefits of marijuana. Industrial hemp is farmed to contain .3% or less of the intoxicating compound THC, so it won’t get you high. However, both industrial hemp and marijuana can be used to make tea.
CBD tea falls into 4 main categories:
- Tea that you make at home and add CBD oil to.
- CBD tea bags that are infused with CBD oil.
- Solo hemp or marijuana flowers and leaves.
- Herbal blends with hemp or marijuana flowers or leaves.
Does CBD Tea Get You High?
Nope! As long as you purchase a CBD product that contains .3% of THC or less, there’s no worry of getting high. However, if you live in a state where recreational marijuana is legal and you are purchasing your tea from a dispensary, be sure to inquire about the THC content.
Remember, even if you live in a state where marijuana is legal, it can’t be shipped via the mail. So, if you purchase an infused tea online it’s definitely CBD.
How Much CBD Should I Put In My Tea?
This is entirely up to you as it’s all about personalizing your milligrams per serving. However, there are a couple of things to be mindful of. The challenges below can be avoided by purchasing a pre-infused tea blend.
- First, you may not enjoy the flavor or consistency of adding CBD oil to your tea. Start with half a dropper and go from there.
- Second, oil and water don’t mix well. Whisking the oil in will help but the oil will continue to separate. Adding even a bit of milk to your tea will help it mix. We have an easy tea latte recipe at the bottom of this blog post.
- Third, because the oil may end up sticking to the sides of your cup or mug you may not get the full milligrams per serving. The milligrams per serving will be diluted further if you eat with your tea.
How Many Drops Of CBD Oil In Tea?
- Our 450 mg bottle dispenses 15 milligrams of CBD per dropper.
- Our 950 mg bottle dispenses 30 milligrams of CBD per dropper.
- You can add more or less by counting the drops per your desired milligrams per serving.
How Long Does It Take For CBD Tea To Kick In?
The fastest delivery method for CBD is to take it sublingually under your tongue, which will take effect in 10 to 30 minutes. This is because there are blood vessels under your tongue, so it goes directly to your bloodstream.
Drinking or eating your CBD will take longer to kick in, typically between 30 and 60 minutes. Sometimes longer. For the fastest results drink your infused tea on an empty stomach; at least 30 minutes before eating or 2 hours after eating. Also, drink your tea in a fairly short amount of time so that the full serving kicks in at once.
Does CBD Tea Really Work?
Please Note—CBD companies cannot provide medical advice and we cannot guarantee that CBD will effectively soothe your mind or body. The data we provide is for informational purposes. Consult with your physician for guidance on all dietary supplements.
CBD tea benefits vary from one person to the next, so it’s something you will have to experience for yourself. If CBD oil works for you, tea should work too. Just be mindful that the milligrams per serving may be diluted in both food and beverages.
If you are new to CBD, consider starting with an oil, softgel, or gummy until you perfect the ideal milligrams per serving. This is typically between 10 and 30 milligrams. Once you find your ideal serving size, start experimenting with infused foods and beverages.
Does CBD Tea Help With Sleep?
Improved rest is one of many reasons people turn to CBD. It may help to calm your racing mind and wind down at the end of your day. If you are considering CBD tea for sleep, be selective about the teas you choose. Ensure your tea is caffeine-free and made with calming herbs or flowers.
- Valerian root
- Sleep tea blends
However, you can add CBD to any tea that you enjoy. Again, just make sure it’s caffeine-free at bedtime.
Will CBD Tea Make Me Tired?
Many turn to CBD to soothe their mind and body. While CBD alone may not make you tired, drinking it with the calming herbs above may help. If improved sleep is your objective, consider a melatonin and CBD sleep gummy.
Is CBD Tea Good For Losing Weight?
Maybe. If you are considering CBD tea for weight loss, it may be a positive side effect of CBD’s wellness benefits. However, weight loss is not a primary wellness benefit of CBD.
- If CBD helps to soothe your sore muscles, you may be motivated to work out more frequently.
- If CBD helps to calm your stress or anxiety, the reduced cortisol will balance your body and may boost your metabolism.
- If CBD helps you ease into a better night of sleep, it may help you balance your body from the inside out—which may lead to weight loss.
One study suggests that CBD may help with food cravings. On the flip side of weight loss, if you have a medical marijuana card or recreational marijuana is legal in your state, consider marijuana for nausea. While THC is the compound that gets you high, it is also the compound most responsible for minimizing nausea. CBD may help too, but even “low-dose” marijuana is likely to do a better job.
Can You Use CBD Tea To Detox?
If you want, you can add CBD to detox tea blends. CBD is an antioxidant, and all antioxidants can help you cleanse your body of toxins and free radicals. However, detoxing is not a common wellness benefit of CBD.
There are a variety of ways to detox including teas, herbal detox kits, and Epsom salt baths. Feel free to infuse your Epsom salt with CBD.
Always consult a physician or nutrition expert before starting a detox or cleanse. Always follow the direction of prepackaged detox and cleanses as they are only designed for short-term use.
What Are The Side Effects Of CBD Tea?
Since CBD isn’t the only ingredient in your tea, it is not the only ingredient that may cause a side effect. Yes, teas are naturally derived from herbs, flowers, and spices, but we can be allergic to just about anything we consume or apply topically.
So, pay attention to any changes in your body when you start taking CBD or drinking CBD tea.
There are zero reports of overdosing on CBD. While extremely rare, and most often when taken in high doses, exceeding 20,000 mg per serving, negative CBD tea effects may include:
- Dry mouth
- Low-blood pressure
- Reduced appetite
- Negative interaction with prescription medications
How To Make A CBD Tea Latte?
Since oil and water don’t mix well, adding a bit of healthy fat via your preferred vegan or dairy milk will ensure your CBD oil mixes into your tea. Adding a splash of milk will help, but why not just make a latte! No need to head to the café or invest in an at-home latte maker.
If you have a latte maker at home, simply make your latte as usual and add the CBD in before you steam your milk.
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/3 cup milk of your choice
- 1 mL Holmes Organics CBD
- Optional sweetener—honey, agave, maple syrup, sugar, etc.
- Optional topper—cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, etc.
- Boil your water in a small pot and steep your tea in a mug as directed, between 2 to 5 minutes depending on the tea blend.
- Add the milk and optional sweetener to a small pot and heat to 150 degrees.
- Turn off the heat and add the CBD oil.
- Use a hand frother or whisk to mix the CBD oil in.
- Pour the frothed CBD milk on top of the tea.
- Top as you prefer and enjoy!
In the Mood For Hot Chocolate Instead Of Tea?
Craving something sweet? If you’re in the mood for hot chocolate instead, here’s a quick and easy recipe.
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 1 mL Holmes Organics CBD
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Optional—1 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional topper—cinnamon, whipped cream, crushed peppermint candies
- Heat your milk to 150 degrees.
- Turn off the heat and add the CBD oil, cocoa powder, and vanilla.
- Use a hand frother or whisk to mix the ingredients.
- Pour into a mug and add your preferred toppings.
Check back to the Holmes Organics Blog soon for more wellness tips and CBD recipes!