With sheltering at home still in place many of us will be dining in this Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re dining out, ordering in, or making dinner at home—be sure to make this CBD chocolate covered strawberry recipe for dessert!
The History Of Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Chocolate covered strawberries are synonymous with romance, as chocolate is one of many aphrodisiac foods that will help you and your partner get in the mood. While cocoa beans and chocolate have been around for centuries, chocolate covered fruit is a fairly new creation.
In the 1960s, Lorraine Lorusso from Chicago’s gourmet Stop N’ Shop store decided to try something new. The store sold a decadent tempered chocolate, and one day she decided to dip strawberries in the chocolate, allow it to harden, and sell her creation to customers. It was an instant success locally—and globally!
This led to dipping all sorts of fresh and dried fruits into chocolate and inspired dipping a variety of other foods in chocolate.
CBD Chocolate Recipe
This recipe is fast and easy and can be personalized with a variety of toppings. Adjust the CBD serving size depending on how many strawberries you each plan on eating, with no more than one serving per person. You could also use this same recipe for sweet and salty chocolate covered pretzel sticks, chocolate covered marshmallows, or peanut brittle. Use milk, dark, or white chocolate.
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 16 ounces milk chocolate chips or 60 to 70 percent dark chocolate chips or a white chips/white chocolate baking bar
- 2 mL Holmes Organics CBD Oil
- 1 pound fresh strawberries with stems on
- Optional—drizzle in contrasting chocolate or colored candy melts or roll in or sprinkle with any combination of finely chopped almonds, pistachios, or shredded coconut
- Rinse your strawberries and pat or air dry.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper or foil.
- Melt the shortening over medium-low heat in a double boiler.
- As soon as it is melted whisk in the CBD oil.
- Immediately add the chocolate and stir constantly until it is melted.
- Remove the chocolate from the heat and dip the strawberries by the stem into the chocolate. Lay them on the lined cookie sheet to harden.
- Melt a tiny bit of contrasting chocolate or candy melts with a small dab of shortening and drizzle it on top of your strawberries to create a beautiful contrast. Or double dip in your second topping. For a lighter topping, just sprinkle your topping on.
While perfect for Valentine’s Day you can make these any time you like!